Monday 22 August 2011

Dad, what is corruption?

“Dad, what is corruption?” was asking my ten year old son while I was driving to Jejuri (temple). I told “Beta, people pay extra money to get their things done and they break the rule. See for example, we are standing in queue for parking and someone offers extra money to parking person and he gives our place to that person, is corruption. Both, the one person accept the bribe and the one who pays are doing corruption”.

We reached temple by 5 pm (as we started late) and we wanted come back before its dark. As soon as we reached on top, many pujaris surrounded us if we want to take “direct” darshan and perform special puja. It will be Rs. 50 per person. I thought there is no rush and let’s take darshan by line only. But when we reached to point where line started, it was long line and minimum another 90 minutes will be needed to reach inside.
Before we think next, another person came and he asked for “direct darshan”. I looked as Swapnita and we kind of decided to go for it. Immediately, that man took us to counter where special darshan pass are sold. We got direct entry and we were out in next 15 minutes. Quick! All the people standing in line were kept on hold until we are done and another few who paid for direct entry.

While, I was driving back, I was feeling something wrong. Just few hours ago, I was explaining my son what is corruption. How someone bypasses the rule by paying extra money. I said thank god that my son didn’t ask me why we are paying more. I had no answer to justify that.

Then so many questions came to my mind.. Is it ethical to pay extra money and go ahead in line? May be it is official, but should we have that system in place? Almost all temples in India have two (or more) lines as per you pay. Free, Deluxe, Super Deluxe.. wow!

But, is it happening only in temple? No. We have “free” seat and “paying” seat in colleges. We have “First class” or “business class” in all journeys. Is that fair enough?

Can we stop it? May be the temple (or college) needs the funds to run their system and maintenance? But is that the only way doing it? Can we not have same rules for all?
So many questions and I do have answers.. Am I thinking like communist? Is it bad to be communist?

I would like to post these questions to you now. Can Anna Hazare and Lokpal bill stop this official corruption?

Sanjay Sonar

1 comment:

  1. Reading this after 13 years for the first time, alot has happened in 13 years and India is still very far from reaching a corruption free state

    ReplyDelete