Friday 15 July 2011

Life after 3 Idiots

Original Post Date - 9 March 2010

The day I saw 3 Idiots (3I), I was charged about talking about it with my friends, especially hostel friends, engineering college buddies. At the same time, there was some negative feeling about something.. which I found later.

3I is “juice” of life in engineering college or any professional education for that matter. I liked the way movie give impotence to “learning/innovation” than “scoring”. I like the way “ratta” man, Chatur is projected. However, there is some mismatch shown like if the person checking the paper expects the “standard/typical” bookish answers, then how Rancho can still be a topper. Well, forgiven!!

Fortunately, I was lucky to get good teachers in my college who never taught us for scores. However, one thing which I hated in college was “submission”.
I mean, why the hale I should write the same thing again, if it’s just copy and paste. (Chatur of our class used to call it “Makkhi to Makkhi” copy, which means, if there is makkhi dead (fly) on the original paper, then you also put dead makkhi on the same line)

I remember one big incident of this Makkhi to Makkhi submission. Four of us were seating for Microprocessor viva (orals). Our professor opened one journal (I think, it was Raj), then asked all of us to open our journal (same page). He pointed to the line where all of us wrote word “mercury”. He asked asking one by one to all, why mercury is used here? First was Preeti, then Sonali, Me, and then Raj. We started thinking and talking like.. “It’s like.. you know.. we .. actually.. not sure..”. Raj was smart (I hope still he is). He started explaining, how mercury help ..it’s due to it’s temperature.. Expansion.. blah-blah blah..
Then peacefully, our dear professor said “Guys this is Microprocessor, why will you use Mercury here.. the correct word should be “Memory”. Lol

We all wanted to roll of the floor to laugh, but we had to control. We (the entire class) had copied word Memory as Mercury. Wow!! As if it was not enough, we were trying to justify that why mercury is used in Microprocessor

Couple of parts, I didn’t liked about the 3I are as follows.

Well, we have seen in Munnabhai that how medical college ragging is turned away by sanjubaba. It was funny! Same thing, 3Is trying to show, again as part of fun. But the question is “Is ragging really funny”. I was lucky to get escape from it as I was in to direct second year. However, I have witnessed it in our hostel. It’s terrible who undergoes it. I am not saying that ragging will impact the student and they will take life. That is still there, but it’s hardly 1-2% of victims. I am more concern about the rest who are survived. Many of them are ones who are taking ragging (kind of revenge) next year. Ragging is not just punishment or humiliation. It makes you insensitive. I have seen pupil who are very sincere and dedicated before ragging and all of sudden there angle to look at the life changes. The think that “goodness” is your “weakness”. It kills the sensitive caring person and then entire life he becomes ruthless. I am not saying all of they become like that, but yes many of them can become like it.
Showing ragging is no longer funny to me. Let’s reject it!!


Second thing in this movie is vey popular among teenagers is “I quit”. Stylist sue side note, Isn’t it? Many have committed and more are in pipeline (Thanks to Media). What was need of showing such a negative part of the life which so much glamour? Poor students don’t even know what strength they have. They think that filing patents on our name and becoming topper like Rancho only is “winning”. Raju you could have shown “hero” as loser. That would have saved many real life “heros”.
Well, I have my own opinions about how life is more beautiful. I will write about it later.

All in all, 3 idiots was a good to watch. It was certainly more that a movie. Otherwise, I would have not written this much if it was “kuch kuch hota hai”.


Sanjay Sonar

No comments:

Post a Comment